Help when you're fleeing violence

If you are in immediate danger you should call 999. 

Anyone fleeing violence has a right to approach any local council. You normally need a local connection with the council to get housing support, but not if your local area is dangerous for you.

If the threat of violence is serious and ongoing you should be able to get a place in a refuge. A refuge is a safe temporary place that supports and protects people fleeing violence.

To get a place in a refuge you need to call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

Men experiencing domestic violence can also call Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.

LGBT+ people experiencing domestic violence can call Galop on 0800 999 5428.

Emma compressed.jpg

Emma, 19

A member of Emma’s family called the Centrepoint Helpline on her behalf. Emma was 19 and had faced domestic violence. Her local authority said they couldn’t help because the violence wasn’t recent enough, but, drifting between friends’ houses, she still had nowhere of her own. We were able to put her in touch with advice services that could challenge the local authority's decision and refer her to hostels that might offer accommodation despite their decision.

I'd like to talk to someone

Call the Centrepoint Helpline free on 0808 800 0661 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or leave your details below and a Centrepoint Helpline Advisor will get back to you as soon as possible.

Are you based in the UK

Please bear in mind that Centrepoint only supports young people aged 16-25
Please name your city, town or borough: Centrepoint currently only offers support in England
We need to be able to get back in touch with you to get you the right help
Where did you hear about Centrepoint?

Data protection regulations state that we need your agreement to hold/use the personal data that you provide. We’ll hold your data securely for two years and delete it after this time. Read our privacy notice.

helpline logo with smallprint.png