Keep your fundraiser safe and legal

Your safety is even more important to us than your fundraising. Common sense and good planning go a long way, but here are a few things to consider. 

Risk management

Think about the possible risks, accidents or legal issues – even if it’s somewhere you know well like your workplace, school or local pub.

The best way to identify any potential accidents or hazards is to complete a risk assessment. If you’ve never done one before, have a look at the guidance on the Health and Safety Executive website and download a free risk assessment template.

Health and Safety Executive advice on managing risk

Download HSE risk assessment template and examples

First Aid

Consider everything you might need for you event, whether it's a First Aid kit or a qualified First Aider. You may also need to contact St John's Ambulance or the British Red Cross to provide First Aid support.

Food safety

Make sure there are suitable facilities to prepare and serve food safely. Avoid the risk of contaminating food and make sure everyone handling food has the instruction or supervision needed.


Make sure all participants will be safe and secure throughout the event. Have a think about whether you'll need crowd control measures of if you'll need any extra security plans if you're collecting cash at the event.

Raffles and lotteries

If you have a raffle or prize draw, make sure tickets are all the same price and that you name the winner during the event. If you want to sell tickets at the more than one place and announce the winner later, you'll need a local lottery licence from your council.


Collections on private property require the manager's or owner's written permission. Keep this with you while you're collecting. Public collections require a licence from the council, or the Metropolitan Police if you're in London.

Selling alcohol

If you plan to sell alcohol at your event, you may need to complete a temporary event notice.

Find out about temporary event notices on


If you're planning an event that involves the general public, you are not covered on Centrepoint's insurance and will need to get your own public liability insurance.

If you're holding your event at a place with public liability insurance (like a school or workplace), check the cover you'll need with them.


When advertising your fundraiser, remember to include these words at the bottom of any advertising:

Centrepoint Soho, operating as Centrepoint, is a charity registered with the Charity Commission of England and Wales under number 292411 whose registered office is at Central House, 25 Camperdown Street, London, E1 8DZ and a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under number 01929421.

For more information

Guidance on running events safely from the Health and Safety Executive