I’m worried about my child

It can be very worrying when there are difficulties at home and your child can no longer live there. There are organisations out there that can advise and support you and your child on what to do next.

Young people aged over 18 can make a homeless application at their local authority. They will need to visit the housing office and speak to a homeless advisor about their situation. You or your child can read more in talking to the council: what you need to know.

Just because your child can’t stay with you doesn’t mean the council will provide them with housing. Their priority will be taken in to consideration - whether they have any physical or mental health issues, if they are at risk from violence, if they are pregnant or have children for example. Even if the council can’t offer accommodation, they may be able to offer a family mediation service that could help the situation at home.

If your child is under 18 it’s a bit different. They are considered a child in the eyes of the law and your local council has a legal duty to support them in some way. Social services may support you through family mediation, or accommodate your child in children’s homes, foster care or hostels if it is deemed necessary.

If the council can’t offer any support, there are also a number of services that may be able to help. You can get advice from Shelter's helpline – call 0808 800 4444 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm at weekends). They can advise you of your child’s housing rights and which services you could support them to access.

You can also use the Homeless UK directory to find housing advice and accommodation in your area.

Your child can look through more information on our website: I am a young person.

Finn compressed.jpg

Finn, 22

Finn’s mum called the helpline after her eviction left him homeless. The local authority had managed to find accommodation for her and her grandchild but not Finn. Eight months of sofa surfing and rough sleeping had left him vulnerable. We offered reassurance and information about how to get his needs assessed and find the right support.

I'd like to talk to someone

Call the Centrepoint Helpline free on 0808 800 0661 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or leave your details below and a Centrepoint Helpline Advisor will get back to you as soon as possible.

Someone I know needs help

Are you based in the UK

If you're not sure please estimate. Please bear in mind that Centrepoint only supports young people aged 16-25
If the young person is someone you've seen sleeping rough, it's best to contact Streetlink on 0300 500 0914
We need to be able to get back in touch with you to get you the right help
How would you prefer us to contact you? * (Without your email or phone number we can't get in touch to support you)
Where did you hear about Centrepoint?

Data protection regulations state that we need your agreement to hold/use the personal data that you provide. We’ll hold your data securely for two years and delete it after this time. Read our privacy notice.

helpline logo with smallprint.png