How can I help a homeless person over 25 years old?

If you know someone who is over 25 and homeless, their entitlements may be slightly different but you can still support them.

The first step would be visiting the housing office at their local council to make a homeless application. You can support them by helping them communicate their situation to the local council and other agencies, making calls with them, helping them with forms and attending appointments wherever you're able, to advocate on their behalf. Have a look at our page: talking to the council - what you need to know.

If the council can’t offer any support, there are also a number of services that may be able to help. You can get advice from Shelter's helpline – call 0808 800 4444 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm at weekends)  They can advise you of the person’s housing rights and which services you could support them to access.

You can also use the Homeless UK directory to find housing advice and accommodation in your area.

helpline logo with smallprint.png