I can't stay at home any more

Many young people become homeless because they can no longer stay in their family home. It might be because there physically isn’t enough space, that your parents are no longer around or it's simply unsafe and you are experiencing violence, abuse or threatening behaviour.

If you’re likely to become homeless in the next 56 days, your council should class you as being ‘threatened with homelessness’. You can approach them for help and advice before you have to move out. They will advise you on your housing options and may also offer other services like family mediation.

The council won't accept hating your house, or the people in it, as you being forced to leave. If you choose to move out of a house that is suitable, the council might say they don’t have to house you. However, if you get kicked out or you’re leaving to escape from violence, abuse or threats, then you’re not choosing to become homeless and you are entitled to support.

You can also get advice from Shelter's helpline – call 0808 800 4444 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm at weekends). They can advise you of your housing rights and options local to you. 

If you want to talk confidentially to someone about struggles at home, you can contact The Mix – an online and telephone support service for young people aged 13-25.

If you are fleeing domestic violence you can contact the 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline – call 0808 2000 247. They will give you details of local refuges near you that could offer you emergency housing. You can also search online for local refuges in your area, give them a call and see how they can support you into emergency housing.

If you are ever in danger, at risk or feel unsafe, dial 999 and report to the police right away.

I'm under 18

If you’re under 18 and are being kicked out or experiencing violence, abuse or threats at home, you should contact children’s services at your local council as soon as you can. If you are at school or college, you should speak to a teacher or trusted adult who can support you or speak up for you on your behalf.

You can also get confidential support from Childline 0800 1111 (FREEPHONE) and

Michael compressed.jpg

Michael, 18

Things had broken down between Michael and his parents. They loved each other but just couldn’t see eye to eye over his new relationship. His dad wouldn’t back down and he could only stay for a while at his friend’s. We suggested mediation to repair the relationship and gave Michael some honest advice about the support he could realistically expect from his local authority.

I'd like to talk to someone

Call the Centrepoint Helpline free on 0808 800 0661 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or leave your details below and a Centrepoint Helpline Advisor will get back to you as soon as possible.

Are you based in the UK

Please bear in mind that Centrepoint only supports young people aged 16-25
Please name your city, town or borough: Centrepoint currently only offers support in England
We need to be able to get back in touch with you to get you the right help
Where did you hear about Centrepoint?

Data protection regulations state that we need your agreement to hold/use the personal data that you provide. We’ll hold your data securely for two years and delete it after this time. Read our privacy notice.

helpline logo with smallprint.png