Leek and potato soup
- 2kg potatoes
- 1kg leeks
- 1 white onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 200g butter
- 50ml olive oil
- 500ml double cream
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into even 2-3cm cubes. Keep them in a container filled with cold water and set aside until needed.
- Slice the leeks into 1cm chunks, lightly wash away any dirt and pat dry with some kitchen paper.
- In a large based saucepan add the oil and butter, then place on a medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the leeks and cook gently for 20-25 minutes and stir frequently. The leeks will stew right down and become lovely and sweet. Set aside until needed.
- Strain the potatoes from the water (this should have extracted a little bit of starch from the potatoes – which is good!), poor them into a suitably sized pot, add the garlic cloves and cover the veg with the stock and a large pinch of salt. Boil the potatoes until they are cooked through and soft.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add in the leeks and the double cream. Blend until smooth and check the seasoning. Serve immediately.