Volunteer Gardener (Hammersmith & Fulham)
Role reference: LN126
Deadline for applications: 24 October 2021
Time Commitment: 2 hours, once per week, for 8 weeks
As a gardening volunteer you will work with staff and young people in our Hammersmith and Fulham services to plan, develop and maintain the service gardens. This role will be a collaborative role and will help to create a nice, relaxing space in the service. A passion for gardening is a must!
- Support staff and young people to plan, set up and maintain garden space, and vegetable allotments at Centrepoint services
- Manage the garden at the supported accommodation, keeping it presentable and a place that young people would want to spend their time.
- Where possible, involve young people in the general management of the garden, teaching them about planting and care for plants/ veg
- Engage with staff about specific tasks that might need completing in the garden throughout the year.
- Engage with young people about what they might want to see in the garden and provide support to them in achieving it.
Volunteers should meet the following criteria:
- Enthusiasm and a passion for gardening
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly with young people, other volunteers and staff
- Understanding of the importance of teamwork; commitment to being part of a team
- Experience working with young people or disadvantaged groups is preferable
- Able to work unsupervised
- Resilience, patience and an ability to motivate young people to participate in new activities.
- Ability to remain calm when involved with challenging individuals and situations
- Understanding of the issues – practical and emotional – facing young people
- Good communication skills
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values.
Support for volunteers
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our application form. If you are having trouble completing the application form, or have any questions about the role, please contact email@example.com.