Ready to Rent Volunteer
Role reference: LNRTR
Application Deadline: 24 October 2021
Team: Independent Living Programme
Time Commitment: 1- 2 hours per week, per resident
The Independent Living Team support young people with their journey from supported housing into living independently. Some young people are no longer eligible to live in Centrepoint accommodation and are now ‘ready to rent’. These young people are able to live independently however some low level support needs may present themselves. This is particularly the case when the tenant first moves into the property.
What do Ready to rent volunteers do?
Provide advice and support to residents whose tenancies are ending and will need to move into alternative and suitable accommodation beyond Centrepoint.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- To provide emotional and practical support and guidance to residents who are no longer eligible to live in Centrepoint accommodation and need to secure an alternative and suitable housing option.
- To work alongside the Independent Living Programme housing officers to ensure residents understand their situation, to help navigate the system and provide support during this time.
- If required and based on the needs of the individual, provide remote or face to face support, possible attending meetings with them to ensure they understand their options and viewing potential accommodation with them.
- Provide support during the transition period of moving into a new property.
Volunteers should meet the following criteria:
- Knowledge of housing options, accessing social housing and the private rental sector Ideally with a background in this sector
- Knowledge of designated locality amenities and support services
- Experience of working with socially excluded young people
- Knowledge of different benefit requirements
- Good level of housekeeping skills
- Be flexible with time to be able to meet the needs of young people and the team
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- Access to a computer/laptop
- Ability to engage, motivate and inspire young people
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly with young people, other volunteers, staff, and community members
- Ability to remain calm when involved with challenging individuals and situations
- Understanding of the issues – practical and emotional – facing young people
- Understanding of the importance of teamwork and a strong commitment to being part of a team
- Be reliable and have a positive outlook.
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values
- Experience of working with homeless people and/or experience of homelessness.
- Understanding of GDPR and confidentiality of information
Volunteers receive the following support throughout their volunteering:
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our application form. If you are having trouble completing the application form, or have any questions about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.