Move On volunteers (North)
We're looking for community based volunteers in Sunderland, Gateshead, Ashington, Darlington and Manchester to help us with young people on their step into independent living and support the work of our Move Through North team who oversee access to tenancies in both Centrepoint owned properties and the private rented sector.
The role of a Move On volunteer is to support the Move Through North team with tasks relating to the settling in period to increase the success and sustainability of a tenancy and be a Centrepoint representative assisting with knowledge, presence, and accessibility across the North.
Move On volunteers will take an empowering approach and tasks may include:
- Coaching young people during their settling in period into a tenancy within a designated area.
- Assisting with submission of claims for Housing Benefit/Universal Credit housing element
- Assisting with setting up utilities
- Providing guidance on how to read meters or where to buy credit for prepayment meters
- Providing information on nearest health centres/dentists/ specialist health care such as substance misuse teams, mental health teams
- Providing information on local amenities, transport, job centre, library etc.
- Assisting with the completion of grant application forms
- Assisting the team with access to properties for deliveries and maintenance visits
- Being a point of community liaison
- Being accountable and representing Centrepoint appropriately
Commitment: To be agreed
Location: North East or Manchester
Duration: To be agreed
Support for volunteers
As part of the Centrepoint Volunteering network you will have access to role-specific and personal development training. You may also be subject DBS checks.
Volunteers also receive the following support throughout their volunteering:
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your team supervisor
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
- Provision of a mobile phone if essential for the role
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, Please complete the application form
We assess all applications against the criteria listed above. Successful applicants will be invited to an interview and may be subject to a reference check and a DBS check. They will also be required to attend an induction session prior to starting in role.
For more information or to discuss the role please contact email@example.com
What does Centrepoint do?
Centrepoint is the UK's leading charity for homeless young people. We have accommodation services in London, Barnsley, Bradford, Manchester, and the North East and support more than 10,000 homeless 16-25 year olds each year. Centrepoint realises that it takes more than just a bed to put an end to homelessness – so we work with all of our young people to ensure that they have access to education and training opportunities, become physically and mentally healthy and gain the essential life skills needed to escape homelessness for good.