Learning & Study Support volunteer
Title: Learning & Study Support volunteer
Team: Centrepoint Works South team
Location: London (remote)
Support and supervision from: Training Team Manager
Time Commitment: To be agreed (weekdays between 9-5)
What does Centrepoint do?
Centrepoint is the UKs leading charity for homeless young people. We have accommodation services in London, Bradford, Manchester, and the North East and support more than 9,000 homeless 16-25 year olds each year. Centrepoint realises that it takes more than just a bed to put an end to homelessness – so we work with each of our young people to ensure that they have access to education and training opportunities, become physically and mentally healthy and gain the essential life skills needed to escape homelessness for good.
What team will you be supporting and what do they do?
The Centrepoint Works South team has Functional skills tutors, Digital Skills tutors, Hospitality tutors and Employability tutors. The team delivers remote learning in a way that best meets the needs of the young person and will work with individuals or groups. They also deliver Traineeships and enrichment workshops.
What do Learning & Study Support volunteers do?
The role of a learning and study support volunteer is to provide learning and study skills support to young people who are engaged in training and further education, working to improve their functional skills in Maths and English, or who are engaged in other learning programmes.
This specific role with the Centrepoint Works South team will be supporting the tutors with the programmes they deliver – similar to a teaching assistant, helping the tutors set up and manage classrooms, deliver elements of sessions, and support individual young people with their learning goals.
You will support young people (individuals and/or in groups) to help them achieve specific course outcomes, gain confidence with learning and education and become independent and successful as they move towards their goal of skills, home and a job.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- To support the Centrepoint Works team with the delivery of learning programmes.
- Support young people with particular activities as required by their course – e.g. writing an essay, giving a presentation, studying for an exam or test etc
- Support young people with homework or revision tasks
- Support young people to learn and develop independent study skills
- Providing ESOL, literacy and numeracy support
- Adhere to administrative requirements of the role
- Attend supervision sessions and relevant additional training
- Be accountable and represent Centrepoint appropriately
Volunteers should meet the following criteria:
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- An understanding of different learning styles and methods to support learning
- IT competent- able to use Google Classroom, Excel, Word and Outlook effectively
- Ability to engage, motivate and inspire young people
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly with young people, other volunteers and staff
- Ability to remain calm when involved with challenging individuals and situations
- Understanding of the issues – practical and emotional – facing young people
- Understanding of the importance of teamwork and a strong commitment to being part of a team
- Be reliable and have a positive outlook.
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values
- Experience of working with homeless people and/or experience of homelessness.
- Experience of working with socially excluded young people.
- Knowledge of different qualification/course requirements.
Support for volunteers
Volunteers receive the following support throughout their volunteering:
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
If you are interested in applying for this position, the next step is to complete our application form, which can be found here.
Please fill out the application form and return to email@example.com.