Independent Life Skills Coach (Hammersmith & Fulham)
Role reference: LN106
Application deadline: 24 October 2021
Time Commitment: TBC with volunteer (2-4 hours per week)
As an Independent Life Skills Coach, you will be supporting the delivery of our Lifewise Programme. Lifewise prepares to Young People by developing their basic life skills, with short courses focused on managing money, cooking, cleaning and fire safety. These are integral skills that will support Young People throughout their lives.
Lifewise is a variety of AQA accredited short courses, which are delivered internally to Young People. Each Lifewise course lasts around two hours and focus on essential life skills, which many Young People in Centrepoint services have not acquired or developed themselves, a single Lifewise course consists of an AQA descriptor, session plan and supporting material.
Young People receive a ‘Certificate of Achievement’ upon completion of each course and for many; this is can be their first recognized qualification. Lifewise courses vary significantly, from how to shop on a budget to learning about rights and responsibilities.
- To support the Support and Housing team with the delivery of the Lifewise program
- To support the Support and Housing with the development of new and innovative Lifewise Courses
- Support young people to learn and develop independent life skills
- Adhere to administrative requirements of the role
- Attend supervision sessions and relevant additional training
- Be accountable and represent Centrepoint appropriately
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- An understanding of different learning styles and methods to support learning
- IT competent- able to use Excel, Word and Outlook effectively
- Ability to engage, motivate and inspire young people
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly with young people, other volunteers and staff
- Ability to remain calm when involved with challenging individuals and situations
- Understanding of the issues – practical and emotional – facing young people
- Understanding of the importance of teamwork and a strong commitment to being part of a team
- Be reliable and have a positive outlook
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values
- Experience of working with homeless people and/or experience of homelessness
- Experience of working with socially excluded young people
- Knowledge of different qualification/course requirements
Support for volunteers
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our application form. If you are having trouble completing the application form, or have any questions about the role, please contact email@example.com.