Centrepoint Helpline Volunteer Adviser
Team: Centrepoint Helpline
Location: 25 Camperdown Street London E1 8DZ/Manchester/Remote
Support and supervision from: Helpline Team Leader & Centrepoint Helpline advisers.
Time Commitment: Four hours per week morning or afternoon or one day a week. (Please note: As the Helpline isn't open on weekends, this position is for weekday volunteers only.)
What does Centrepoint do?
Centrepoint is the UK’s leading charity that is working to provide services for young people aged 16 to 25, many of whom are socially excluded and who are at risk of or have experienced homelessness.
The young people we support come from a wide variety of backgrounds and nations. Many have experienced domestic abuse, family breakdown and poverty. Some are 'in care' with the local council, or have been. Some are ex-offenders. Some are single parents. Many tackle mental health problems. Some depend on drugs and alcohol. About a third experience problems reading, writing and communicating.
All of them have potential – with Centrepoint and the volunteers that support us, they have the best chance of achieving this!
Centrepoint values are Integrity, Energy, Humility, Entrepreneurial, Accountable and Focused. We expect all staff and volunteers to uphold these values in their work with young people.
What team will you be supporting and what do they do?
Centrepoint Helpline is a national helpline which provides information and advice to under 25s who are homeless or at risk of homeless. They respond to both calls, emails and webchats from young people.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Respond to incoming calls and emails and webchats, listen and understand the young person’s circumstances and provide information and advice to assist them.
- Follow up with other organisations to secure the best possible outcomes for young people
- Record all details of contact on our database
Volunteers should meet the following criteria
- Non-judgmental attitude – able to provide support regardless of people’s circumstances
- Good listening and communication skills
- Proficient at using IT resources to find information and to record details of calls
- Reliable and punctual
- Cope with challenging or emotional enquiries.
- Ability to relate to and to work within a small team
- Work calmly and effectively in a busy environment.
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values; Humility, Focused, Entrepreneurial, Integrity, Energy and Accountable
- Able to work from home in a quiet confidential environment with access to own IT equipment
- Good understanding of accessing housing support and accommodation, and housing law
- Experience of working/volunteering in a helpline role
Support for volunteers
Volunteers receive the following support throughout their volunteering:
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org - let us know your skills and interests, what you think you could bring to the role, when you can start and your current availability.
For more information please email email@example.com.