ASSIST Volunteer (Language) (Brent & Harrow - Role 1)
Role reference: LN118
Application deadline: 24 October 2021
Time Commitment: Once per week, 2-3 hours
As an ASSIST volunteer you will complement the work of keyworkers within our Support and Housing accommodation services and support young people directly through the following methods: Attend appointments and activities, Supervise shops, develop Skills to become more Independent, provide day to day Support, and be someone to Talk to. In this role you will be supporting young people who have a first language other than English, therefore language skills in either Sorani Kurdish and/or Sudanese Arabic are required for this role.
- Support the young people with learning English
- Being a point of contact and a role model for young people.
- Managing appointments for young people, including issuing appropriate reminders to them.
- Chaperone the young people to appointments (i.e. doctors, counselling)
- Complement the key work of staff to support young people to develop independent living skills e.g. washing, cooking, managing budgets, healthy choices
- Support young people to learn and develop independent study skills
- Be someone to talk to in their own language
- Be able to support
- Adhere to administrative requirements of the role
- Attend supervision sessions and relevant additional training
- Be accountable and represent Centrepoint appropriately
Volunteers should meet the following criteria:
- Language skills in Sorani Kurdish/ Sudanese Arabic
- An understanding of approaches to learning English as a foreign language
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- An understanding of different learning styles and methods to support learning
- IT competent- able to use Excel, Word and Outlook effectively
- Ability to engage, motivate and inspire young people
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly with young people, other volunteers and staff
- Ability to remain calm when involved with challenging individuals and situations
- Understanding of the issues – practical and emotional – facing young people
- Understanding of the importance of teamwork and a strong commitment to being part of a team
- Be reliable and have a positive outlook.
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values
- An empathy with young people who have arrived in the UK as a refugee / with limited English skills
- Experience of working with homeless people and/or experience of homelessness
- Experience of working with socially excluded young people
- Knowledge of different qualification/course requirements
Support for volunteers
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our application form. If you are having trouble completing the application form, or have any questions about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.