Assist Volunteer (Language) - (Barnet)
Role reference: LN115
Deadline for applications: 24th October 2021
Hours: 2-3 hours minimum, once per week
This role will be based in our Barnet service as part of the Supported Housing team. The service has a few young people that require social and cultural support. The young people all have good levels of English but would like someone to communicate with in their first language and someone who has a similar experiences to relate to them. The languages required for this role are Farsi/Persian/Pashto, as well as knowledge of Afghanistan and its culture to help the young people feel less isolated.
- Support young people to learn and develop independent study skills
- Helping them connect to their culture, e.g. provide recipes for national dishes
- Be someone to chat to, to help with their wellbeing
- Adhere to administrative requirements of the role
- Attend supervision sessions and relevant additional training
- Be accountable and represent Centrepoint appropriately
Volunteers should meet the following criteria:
- Language skills in Farsi/ Persian/ Pashto to speak to the young people in their first language
- An understanding of approaches to learning English as a foreign language
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- An understanding of different learning styles and methods to support learning
- IT competent- able to use Excel, Word and Outlook effectively
- Ability to engage, motivate and inspire young people
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly with young people, other volunteers and staff
- Ability to remain calm when involved with challenging individuals and situations
- Understanding of the issues – practical and emotional – facing young people
- Understanding of the importance of teamwork and a strong commitment to being part of a team
- Be reliable and have a positive outlook.
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values
- An empathy with young people who have arrived in the UK from another country
- Knowledge of Afghanistan and its culture
- Experience of working with homeless people and/or experience of homelessness.
- Experience of working with socially excluded young people.
- Knowledge of different qualification/course requirements
Support for Volunteers:
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our application form. If you are having trouble completing the application form, or have any questions about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.